[TowerTalk] Antenna refurb-Penetrox/Noalox & painting

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna refurb-Penetrox/Noalox & painting
From: Tom Singleton <tom@monroecpa.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 12:04:39 -0700
Hello all,

A couple of questions from a newbie refurbing his first set of
aluminum (Mosley TA53M w/40M add-on).  The antenna has been
disassembled and in storage for some time and the old penetrox is now
a sort of semi-crust on the element overlaps.   What's the best way
to remove old penetrox-and do I have to re-penetrox or can I use
No-al-ox (which I have on hand.

And second, can/should I paint the antenna after it is cleaned up a
bit?  Mosley sells an (expensive) Weather guard paint, but I was
wondering about alternatives or even whether it's a good idea.

Uh, maybe a bonus question..anybody know what size of guying is
supposed to be used for the 40M add-on?  The thimbles are 3/16", so
I'm assuming 3/16" Dacron?  Seems like overkill...

Thanks!
Tom
K8TOM
Monroe, WA