Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 20/25G leg insulator material

To: K1TTT <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 20/25G leg insulator material
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 19:57:00 -0400

K1TTT wrote:
> In my rohn catalog the self supporting height for 25g in 70mph area with no
> ice is only 40'... still a bit short for 80m.

My old one says that, but my newer one says "Not self supporting at any
height" for both 25 and 45G. OTOH they let you go IIRC a bit less than
30' above a house bracket unguyed for 45G.

As an opinion, not a recommendation:
If I could afford to lose the tower, it wouldn't fall on any one or
anything if it went down (and I could guarantee no one could get within
range), then I'd put up 60' of 25G as a grounded tower with a hefty
concrete base if I could stand it in one piece. It's not something that
should be climbed.  No one would insure it if they understand towers and
there is a big liability issue

73

Roger (K8RI)