Re: [TowerTalk] SWR Problem

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SWR Problem
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 20:50:06 -0400

Dave Johnson wrote:
> Hey Tom,
>
> >From what you said, it sure sounds like a connector problem.  How about
> getting a boom truck with a man basket.  It would have no problem lifting
> you to 80 feet.  For anyone not familiar, a boom truck is a small crane
> mounted on a flat bed truck.  They are much less expensive to rent than a
> crane.  There should be a crane rental company or a sign company in Iron
> Mountain, MI that has one.  The important thing would be to anticipate what
> you may need to fix the problem and have it ready because the boom truck
> rents by the hour.

Most of the boom trucks and Hy-Rangers I've seen go to 40 or 60 feet
although I've seen a few that go to 90.  HOWEVER <:-)) The first time up
in a 60, let alone a 90 footer is "an experience" akin to the feeling
I'd imagine you'd get standing on top of 90' of un-guyed ROHN 25G.
Although secure, it certainly doesn't feel like it to the
"uninitiated".  It might be difficult to rent a 90 footer due to the
liability issue as well. When you get that arm extended nearly straight
it feels anything but solid and any control input results in what feels
like really *quick* response <LOL> For the most stability you work off
the back of the truck and never raise the boom without putting down the
outriggers.

I don't know how much the boom trucks and Hy-Rangers run around here,
but I can get a crane with extension (for working above 100') with an
operator for *about* $300 per hour. With a good operator and some one
experienced riding in the cage you can get what would be a couple days
work done in just a few hours if everything is prepared ahead of time.
Unfortunately there is no way I can get one into our driveway.  The road
is only two cars wide with a small bridge coming in.  They can't make
the turn. We'd have to lay another 15-20 foot of culvert, put at least 2
of not 3 large truck loads of dirt on top and then my asphalt driveway
would never be the same and they could only get within about 75 feet of
the tower base. <sigh>

73

Roger (K8RI)