Re: [TowerTalk] Compacted vs. Undisturbed Soil--Summary

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Compacted vs. Undisturbed Soil--Summary
From: Dick Flanagan <dick@k7vc.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:04:19 -0700
I posted my question regarding compacted vs.undisturbed backfill two
days ago.  During that time I have received over twenty responses,
mostly directly.  I would like to summarize those response here and
in so doing, thank everyone who took the time to share their
knowledge, experience and opinions with me.  In priority order:

1.  Do what the P.E. says.  He has done the calculations and his
license and reputation on the line.  If he says compacted soil is
acceptable for (under his specifications), than you can be assured
that compacted backfill is acceptable.

2.  Properly done, compacted soil is as strong and in many cases
stronger than native undisturbed soil.

3.  The specifics of soil compaction relate to the types of fill
material used, the level of compaction and the depth of each
compaction step.  A typical example might be to specify well-graded
gravel, 95% impact compaction and minimum 8" steps.  The P.E. of
record is responsible for these specifications.

4.  What is not acceptable is to simply dump the excavated soil back
in the hole and drive over it a few time with a back-hoe tire which
is done more often than one might think.

In my friend's case, he contacted his P.E. who approved the used of
backfill so long as it met industry compaction standards which he specified.

I want to thank everyone who contacted me.  The knowledge that is
available on this forum is absolutely astounding!

Dick

--
Dick Flanagan K7VC
dick@k7vc.com