Re: [TowerTalk] Wood constructed tower

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wood constructed tower
From: Tim N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 16:05:20 -0500
Roger White wrote:
> Back when I became a ham, towers were kind of rare and pricey. I saw a lot
> of 30 to 40 ft. telephone poles used to support beams. Even then, they were
> readily available for next to nothing. Problem is how to get them up
> cheaply. I know one club whose repeater is on top of a 70 ft. pole that is
> very sturdy and was a pretty big diameter at the top.
>
> Roger W5RDW
> Murphy, Texas

There is a local ham here that had a pole installed to support the far
end of his wire antenna. He said he bought it from a local electrical
contractor who drilled it for the pulley, etc., dug the hole with
gravel drainage and a ground cable pretty reasonably. He said the
price came down a fair amount since he had them do the work at their
convenience as a fill-in job when the week's work was done but the
owner needed to keep the crew busy. It never hurts to ask!

Tim, N9PUZ