Re: [TowerTalk] wood towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] wood towers
From: "Mike DeChristopher" <k1kaa@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 22:54:49 -0400 (EDT)
I was on staff at a boy scout camp for a long time, and even taught
pioneering.  We'd build 30+ foot-tall towers, usually self-standing.  I
often thought about socking screws in the legs (since the rope won't cut
it for too long) and putting a mast with a beam on top.  Never got a beam
up, but did use one or two to support v's and ends of dipoles.  I suppose
if you have an abundance of wood, rope, and a working knowledge of
lashings (Japanese square lashing, anyone??) it might be useful for short
periods.  Would look really cool at a field day site, also.

--
Mike DeChristopher, K1KAA
http://www.k1kaa.net