Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing versus rotator pin bolt

To: Mike <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing versus rotator pin bolt
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 00:02:35 -0400

Mike wrote:
> Pin the Mast, ask my friend K6MCL across town about not following the
> instructions :-)
>
> Actually I was the guy that really suffered as I had to climb up the tower
> and hang of the side and use a transfer punch to mark the holes and then
> drill in a hole from each side, not fun.  Better to do the job on the
> ground, those Aluminum Clam Shells cannot be tightened enough to hold the
> mast reliably.
>
> I don't understand really understand the rest of questions, I have a thrust
> bearing and do not see how it relates to the mast turning in the Clam
> Shells.

Using a thrust bearing to support the load when the mast is rigidly
installed in the rotator isn't just a poor idea it's a bad idea.  The
farther apart the thrust bearing and rotator the worse it gets.

There are two problems.  The first is some rotators are designed to work
with a load applied.  The second it the difference in the expansion
coefficient between the mast and the tower.    On a long mast it's
possible to pull the top up on the rotator causing damage from mild to
catastrophic.  I've seen rotators completely trashed by having a thrust
bearing used to support the system weight.

Actually, thrust bearings should be used to eliminate the side thrust
to the rotator.
My system completely destroyed a TB-3 thrust bearing.  I'm replacing it
with an 8" piece of 2 1/2" DOM to serve as a thrust bearing.

73

Roger (K8RI)