[TowerTalk] Rotor change out question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotor change out question
From: ac9s@mchsi.com
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 01:37:54 +0000
When I install a rotator I always leave a little space, about 1/4" between the
bottom of the mast and the rotator.  I use the bolts on the thrust bearing to
hold the mast until I tighten the rotator bolts and then I loosen the thrust
bearing bolts to unload it.  When it is time to change the rotator I simply
tighten the thrust bearing bolts again, remove the rotator bolts and tip the
old rotator out.  I can usually swap rotators in less than a half hour on the
tower, given that I have a hot spare to pull up and tip back in.  If I need to
leave the antennas without a rotator for a time I have a set of three angle
iron that I have drilled with saddle clamps to clamp the mast to each of the
three tower legs.  With three clamps on the mast this has arrangement has
withstood pretty high winds.  It worked well on a Skyhawk / Cushcraft Warc
dipole arrangement as well as my current 3el/40 Steppir.

Keith
AC9S