[TowerTalk] Advice

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Advice
From: "Phil & Debbie Salas" <dpsalas@tx.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 06:59:55 -0500
Well, bigger is always better.  A HyTower will be a more efficient solution
than a 43-foot vertical.  That being said, I like the 43-foot vertical as it
is less obtrusive, and mine isn't permanently mounted (slides on and off a
mounting post) so I got around my "permit required for permanant structures
over 25 feet" city requirement.  I built my own (I live close to Texas
Towers) and I used an 8-foot CB whip at the top which reduces visibility and
wind loading even more.

The SWR of the 43-footer is not bad on 40-10 meters, and so SWR related
losses are pretty much negligable if you use good coax.  And the higher
radiation resistance of this antenna on these bands makes the antenna more
efficient over a less-than-perfect ground.  Above 20 meters the antenna may
not be as good a DX antenna as a shorter vertical, but my main use for this
antenna is 160-20 meters.

However, for 160- and 80-meter operation you should really match the 43-foot
antenna at the base.  The SWR is horrible on those bands.  I built several
base matching networks that work great for 160- and 80-meters.  Info is in
the "Articles" section of my website at www.ad5x.com.

Phil - AD5X