Re: [TowerTalk] It's Getting Worse ...

To: RICHARD SOLOMON <w1ksz@q.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] It's Getting Worse ...
From: "R. Kevin Stover" <rkstover@mchsi.com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 08:50:20 -0500
Dik,

I've installed miles of CAT5 and  CAT6 cable in my 10 years as a network
admin and have never seen aluminum CAT5e/6. Was this an office supply
store variety with the molded connectors on each end that you cut off? I
haven't disassembled one of those in a while to see what their doing as
I buy bulk cable and connectors and "roll my own".

I wouldn't be surprised if somebody is trying to go cheap by using
aluminum instead of copper in the consumer grade cables.

RICHARD SOLOMON wrote:
> My latest project is a K9AY Loop. I thought I could use a CAT5 cable to
>
> connect the relay box to the switch box. Of course, that requires one
>
> to solder the wires at the relay end.
>
> Well, to my surprise, the 100' CAT5 cable I picked up is made out of
>
> ALUMINUM wire.
>

> Can it get any cheaper !!
>

> 73, Dik, W1KSZ

R. Kevin Stover