Re: [TowerTalk] Shrink Tubing on Coax & PL-259?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shrink Tubing on Coax & PL-259?
From: "Jon Casamajor" <k6el@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 00:01:48 -0000
Hi Scott,

I've had good and not so good experiences with using shrink tubing on
PL-259. The good is with the really heavy duty "flooded" variety. It is
flooded with adhesive that really bonds the tubing to the coax. I found some
the other day at a local electrical supply house. It is labeled; "PANDUIT
HST0.8 600V. it is a bright salmon red color and a 6" piece cost me $7.15!

The bad I had was with the garden variety thin walled stuff that let water
in and held it in and allowed it to migrate into the coax that I had poorly
prepared and left one braid hole un soldered...one of those "temporarily
permanent" cables that ended up permanent and was a bear to track down. Get
the good stuff if you want the insurance. I will never cut a corner in
soldering again. :-)

I have found what I think is a better solution than heat shrinking. The Self
bonding Silicon tape is really impressive, easy to use and less expensive.
Gardner and Bender, GB Electrical products carries a version as do most Ace
Hardware stores. This is the same tape that SteppIR uses to bond their
fiberglass elements together. Take a look at this option also.

Regards,

Jon-K6EL

k6el@comcast.net