[TowerTalk] PL259's and heat shrink tubing

To: "Towertalk@Contesting. Com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] PL259's and heat shrink tubing
From: "CRAIG CLARK" <jcclark@wildblue.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:01:56 -0400
Weatherproofing PL259 can be accomplished by various methods with commonly
available products.

We sell flooded heat shrink (HS) tubing for $5 for a 4 length ' and I use
this product when requested by the customer. I would not recommend regular
HS tubing as Roger stated, if water gets in, it will be retained and could
compromise the connection.

In my station, the HS tubing is only part of a comprehensive method of
waterproofing antenna connections. After the connector is installed at the
antenna, I use two wraps of 3M #33 tape run in different directions. Then I
have used a combination (either/or) Amp's cold fusion tape, liquid tape,
Coax seal or (Steve will disagree with me on this) Scotch-kote. The
combination of tape and an outer coating should give you years of trouble
free service.

73 Craig

Craig Clark K1QX
Radioware