Re: [TowerTalk] Gem Quad Back in Production

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Gem Quad Back in Production
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 12:16:01 -0700
I had a two-element Gem for nearly ten years and it worked very well in a good
location.  Quads seem to do slightly better than Yagis at very low angles -
very important for low-power/QRP guys like me :-)

Anyway - the way I chose to feed the elements was with quarter-wave sections of
RG-62/U (92 ohms) to an RCS-8V, 5-position remote coax switch.  At the
feedpoint, to keep the solid wire (both the elements and the coax center
conductor) from breaking, I used a small piece of glass-epoxy perfboard with
brass screw terminals and tie-wrapped the coax to it.  All of the coax feed
lines were bundled together.  The bundle was then tied off to the central
spider with nylon cord.  That kept the whole assembly relatively stable and I
had no more coax or element breakage.  SWR was less than 1.5:1 on all five
bands.

Bondo and a spare piece of fiberglass rod work well as an element repair
technique.  Don't ask me how I know this :-)

73, Ward N0AX