[TowerTalk] two benefits of postings on Re: Resonance is over rated

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] two benefits of postings on Re: Resonance is over rated
From: "Al Williams" <radioman007@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 15:00:44 -0700
One benefit of so many postings on this subject is that raises concepts or
different ways
of analying the "problem".

A second benefit is that some postings causes us (me) to review my
understanding of things that I learned long ago--in this case over 50 years!

The following posting states something that is not only incorrect but the
truth is exactly the opposite. Actually it was probably mistated.  For those
less trained, here is the correction:

1. All circuits have both a capacitive and an inductive reactance at the
same time.  All circuits will have some lead length
which will result in an inductance, no matter how short the lead.  The
inductive reactance xl will be  2piFL accordingly.
Similarly all circuits will have some spacing between components or leads
resulting in capacitance.  The capacitive
reactance will be 1/2piFL.  These two reactances can be mathematically
combined serially or parallel.  I forget if it was
Norton, Thevinin, etc. who established the series and parallel formulas.
There will also be a resistance which must also be included
(or ignored). The resultant equation is (r1+xl)(r2+xc)/r 1+ xl + r2 + xc)
for a parallel combination.

2. The units for the resultant equation is called impedance-- not reactance?

3. A minor mistatement probably?