Re: [TowerTalk] One thrust bearing vs. two

To: <john@kk9a.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] One thrust bearing vs. two
From: "Tod -ID" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 11:27:58 -0600
Hi John:

Yes, proper alignment can be a challenge. The rotator plate is welded into my
tower at 4 feet down from the top. The objective of the second bearing seemed to
me to be to prevent lateral motion of the mast when the wind is really pushing
on it and the antennas.

I thought about calculating the moment at the top bearing when the wind is
blowing and then calculating what the lateral force on the rotator would be. I
am not sure if they are specified for lateral forces -- they do have a spec for
vertical forces.

It could be that inserting a plate with no bearing that had a hole slightly
larger than the mast o.d. would sufficient to protect the rotator.

Tod, K0TO