Re: [TowerTalk] One thrust bearing vs. two

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] One thrust bearing vs. two
From: Steve Sacco NN4X <nn4x@embarqmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 15:42:30 -0400
I use two thrust bearings.  It's easy to plumb the mast by using the
"play" (lack of tolerance) in the piece parts.

I use two for the following reasons:

1) Some of my masts are long - in one instance my mast is 27' long (20'
above the top of the top thrust bearing).

2) To remove all horizontal thrust off of the rotator.

3) To allow removal of the rotor while allowing the mast to remain secure.

It costs, more, true, but every time I've had to pull a rotator for
maintenance or replacement, a big smile breaks out across my face,
because I know what an enormous amount of work I've just avoided by
having that second bearing.

On the other hand, I'm easily amused, so there's that.

73,
Steve
NN4X
EL98jh