Re: [TowerTalk] inductance of tubing vs bar or strip

To: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] inductance of tubing vs bar or strip
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 18:03:08 -0400

On 8/18/2009 Dick Green WC1M wrote:

> I don't know about the inductance, Pete, but my understanding is that
> soldered connections are not a good idea -- a lightning surge can melt the
> joints. I think you would need to use a mechanical clamp or something like
> Cadweld.

> 73, Dick WC1M

I keep seeing "solder melting" - and I have what is probably a very very silly
question - What about "Hard" solders like Sil-phos or "Hard" Silver solder?
You know, the stuff that takes a Mapp Gas (or Acetylene-air  or Oxy-Acetylene)
to melt?  I've always sort of assumed it would be OK with their quite high
melting points (Sil-fos has a melting point of 1185 F.  Silver solders seem to
range from around 1200 deg to 1800 degs.  Compare this to 361 degs for 63/37
soft solder and 1984 degs for pure copper)

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!

--A.Clarke