Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing the Antenna Mast

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing the Antenna Mast
From: Jim Hoge <knowkode@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 15:13:33 -0700 (PDT)
First and foremost, make sure the mast and everything holding it up are rated
for and can support you up there. While a pain, lowering the mast into the
tower may be safer.If you opt for bolt on climbing steps, choose some that
incorporate a stop at the outer edge of the step to keep your foot from sliding
off the end. A temporary alternative that I have used is to u-bolt a single
(inner) section from an aluminum extension ladder to the mast. Not pretty but
it has the built in edge guards I mentioned. Also, my fall arrest device is
attached to the mast, not the ladder.

Be safe!

Jim W5QM