Re: [TowerTalk] TR-44 rotors

To: "John Geiger" <aa5jg@yahoo.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>, <dx-list@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TR-44 rotors
From: "Van K7VS" <wa7fab@cdsnet.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 23:04:18 -0700
Dear OM.  Although I had deleted your message and the single response I
read.  Decided to drop you a note as that person's experience and mine
differ greatly.  I had a TR44 up for several years in Oregon and a TH3
Junior tri band beam that weighed approximately 28 pounds (most three
element aluminum tri banders are in that area relative to weight.  Only
difference is the size of the traps in the hi power versus the low power
versions and contribute very little in weight differential) and never had a
problem.  Once in a while a high wind would turn it off the direction it was
pointed and you simply rotate the beam back to the heading you want.  So I
would say that I disagree with the the other fellow in that I never had a
problem.  It works just fine for rotating a normal three element aluminum
beam with traps.  Or at least I never had any problems.  The HAM M series is
obviously a heavier duty rotator but also more expensive.

They are simple to service and if you buy a used one that has not been
recently torn down (as they are a fairly old unit now) and cleaned and
relubricated properly I would recommend doing so and while at it sand blast
or clean the outside up then repaint it with your favorite color!  Rustoleum
works great.  You can find copies of the manuals for the TR 44 series on the
BAMA website and enough information to pull it apart and clean, relub and
reassemble.  They are quite simple to service and work on.

The only other point would be to not overstress the unit.  Use a short piece
of pipe, one or two feet maximum from the rotor clamp to the beam clamp.
Keep the beam close to the rotor and it should work as long as you have it
up.  Hope this info helps you.

Van,  K7VS