Re: [TowerTalk] TX-472 Re-cable Suggestions & Hinta

To: towertalk@contesting.com, kf4od@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TX-472 Re-cable Suggestions & Hinta
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:54:38 EDT

In a message dated 9/17/2009 9:16:15 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I need to replace the haul up cable on my TX-472.

Why do you think you need to replace the cable?  There are 3 reasons why
you'd want to do it.

1) Damage. Kinks or flat spots on the cable.
2) Rust. Serious rust, not just surface rust.
3) Excessive broken strands. You're allowed to have 6 broken strands
before you have to replace it.

    I doubt that your tower meets any of those  criteria. In my 20+ years
of tower work, I've never seen a crank-up tower that  had to have the cables
replaced (unless it's broken, of course).

>  What is the type / length of cable that I need to  purchase?  Any
recommendation
for sources of supply?

UST uses 7x19 galvanized wire rope. Use the  same size as is on it now. Buy
it from UST - they'll cut it to length.

>  Any other suggestions that I should consider before I begin?

See comments above.

>  Any other installation hints?

    Do you have positive pull-down? It's not an easy  job. Make sure the
tower is locked into place with wooden blocks, pieces of  pipe or U-bolts on
the legs.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -