Re: [TowerTalk] Guying 3 inch Irrigation Pipe

To: "Pat Chiles" <chilesp@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying 3 inch Irrigation Pipe
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 13:39:44 -0800
Pat Chiles wrote:
> I am putting up a couple of full size 80M verticals made out of 3 inch
> irrigation pipe.  Does any one have some suggestion for attaching the guy
> wires to the irrigation pipe?  Idear will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pat, K8PC

What I do is get a 3 inch PVC coupler and mount 4 small ubolts
to it every 90 degrees, so that it has 4 "ears" for rope.  I
then take a 4 inch long piece of 3 inch PVC pipe and slit it lengthwise.
I pry apart the slit of the pipe and slip it over the irrigation
pipe until it is in the guying position, and then clamp it with
a hose clamp.  Now the PVC coupler can be slipped around the
irrigation pipe and moved down to the PVC pipe.  It will fit
snuggly around the clamped PVC pipe, possibly with a few taps
from a hammer.  The U bolts are in the vertical plane.  Also works
for 2 inch and 4 inch pipe.

Rick N6RK