[TowerTalk] power requirements

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] power requirements
From: "Marlon K. Schafer" <ooe@odessaoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 21:35:38 -0800
Hi All,

For those that remember, I'm still working on getting the motor home set up
as an emergency communications vehicle.

I've run into a bit of a snag and need some advice.

Right now there is number 14 wire run up to a location where I'd like to put
all of the radios, dvd player, TV etc.

I could put in an inverter and run the TV and DVD player off of the 110
outlet up there but I'm not sure where it would go.  I'm also worried that
the kids would end up leaving it turned on all of the time and that it would
drain the batteries all of the time.  I'll figure this one out somehow...

Having said that, what size wire should I use when I have the shop replace
what's there?  Eventually I can see there being two ham radios (advice
locally is 2m and 440), ambulance, fire and sheriff.  Plus I should probably
put in a CB radio.  I don't think any of them will have to be super high
powered radios.

Lacking experience in any of the modern versions of these radios, what would
you guys suggest I use for wiring to the cabinet?  Off the cuff I'd think
that number 10 should do (55 to 100 amps).
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
http://www.rowand.net/shop/Tech/WireCapacityChart.htm

However, it seems wise to stay a bit conservative and move up to #8 wire for
50ish amps.
http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm

And if I add in the 700watt inverter in the same location?  That adds around
60 amps all by it's self.

Would two new cable runs be a better idea?

Anyone have any idea of the approximate draw for each of the two way radios
listed above?  This doesn't have to be exact, can't be really, we don't have
any of the radios yet :-).  But I need something to base this on this winter
when I take the motorhome to the shop to get some other work done.  I'll
want them to install this new wire as well.

Thanks all!
marlon