Re: [TowerTalk] Rotating a dipole on a side-arm

To: <n7ss@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotating a dipole on a side-arm
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 22:35:50 -0500
Scott:

     I have a Cushcraft D40 (compact) rotatable dipole at the top of my
tower's mast at 78 feet.  I find that it is pretty much non-directional,
that is, I can't seem to find a null or even a measureable drop in RX levels
when I rotate it.

     My point being is that on 40 and probably 60 meters, the SteppIR dipole
will probably not have to be rotated at all.  If you intend to operate on
the higher freqs during an emergency, then you might see some directionality
that will have to be overcome by turning the antenna.  But under what
circumstances would you be using freqs above 7.3 MHz during an EOC
activation?  The EOC's mission should have a major influence on your choice
of frequencies and hence antennas.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F