Re: [TowerTalk] Making an insulated base for 80 meter vertical from Rohn

To: brahmangou@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Making an insulated base for 80 meter vertical from Rohn 25
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 19:12:26 -0500
I haven't read all of the replies yet, but Teflon is a poor structural
material. If under compression or expansion it will move.  It "cold
flows" substantially, like an extremely thick taffy.  I used it for the
base insulator on a mobile antenna.  In less than 20 miles the antenna
was swinging around at almost a 45 degree angle.  I had to stop and guy
it into the car through the windows using heavy fishing line.

Delrin, or the strongest ...fiberglass painted with a UV protecterant
should work fine.

73

Roger (K8RI)