Re: [TowerTalk] Speaking of wire mesh...

To: n4zr@contesting.com, "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Speaking of wire mesh...
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 09:51:01 -0800
Pete Smith wrote:
> My local farm supply store has rolls of welded steel wire mesh
> (galvanized) with 2 x 4 inch openings, for what seems like a pretty
> reasonable price per square foot.  I am tempted to use crossed strips of
> this stuff at the base of my shunt-fed tower in an effort to reduce
> ohmic losses on 160 and 80 meters, tying them together with split bolts
> and by wire to the plate that terminates my longer radials.
>
> First, I'm wondering if those openings are small enough that the mesh
> would appear at those frequencies to be equivalent to solid sheets of
> steel?  And if so, would such an addition to my radial system make
> sense?  I was thinking of either 4 x 25-foot strips or 2 x 50 footers.

Hmm.. my first thought is "try it and see" because it's hard to predict
what this will work like.. Here's some thoughts though:

steel is not a particularly good conductor, but on the other hand it's a
heck of a lot better than soil, so it's probably a net gain

I don't think the openings are significant as openings (they're such a
tiny fraction of a wavelength, but you could probably model it as a
continuous sheet, with conductivity scaled as (fraction covered by
steel)*conductivity of steel.  Ditto for permeability.

On the other hand, it might actually be better than that.  Sort of like
chicken wire is a pretty good reflector at 4 GHz, even though the
solidity is tiny.  However, this is for a propagated wave.

Looking at the base of a tower, I think you're more in a near field
situation, which is why I think the "fraction of area covered" might be
more appropriate.