Re: [TowerTalk] 2" O.D. Pipe???

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2" O.D. Pipe???
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:59:51 -0700
Roger (K8RI) wrote:
> And this is a problem, why?  One tenth of an inch should make little
> difference for thrust bearings, antenna to mast clamps, and rotator
> clamps. The rotator I have would take either of those sizes with no
> modification.

Some mast hardware is very fussy.  I got a "free" piece of
"2 inch" mast.  It turned out to be 2.05 inches OD.  I think
the galvanizing was really thick, or it "swelled".  It just
barely fit my K7NV prop pitch, and was unusable with my
MonstIR saddles and with my Slip Nott clamp.  It also barely
went though the thrust bearing.  I got another
mast from Texas Towers.  It was about 2.01 inches.  It was
fine in the prop pitch, but was really tight in the MonstIR
saddles.  I was able to press it in.  The Slip Nott had enough
give to get seated around it by tightening the bolts.

Rick N6RK