Re: [TowerTalk] comparing top section of crankup to

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] comparing top section of crankup to
From: "Steve, W3AHL" <w3ahl@att.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 15:48:59 -0400
Kevin,

Based upon the info you supplied previously, any length of mast you add, while
staying within the allowable base moment loading, will not exceed the top
section's max of 7638 ft-lbs.

Rather than continue this on the reflector, if you can scan and e-mail to me
the stress analysis document for your tower, along with a description of what
antenna configuration you would like to install, I'll try to find some time to
explain the process using your real data, instead of using a few numbers out of
context.

I am not a P.E., so it would only be an example.  Otherwise, you should find a
ham-friendly P.E. in CA to determine if what you want to do is feasible.

If you can forward any pictures or descriptions of telescoping towers that have
folded at the top section's overlap, I would be interested in them.  I have
only seen pictures of the mast bent over, resulting in the booms preventing the
tower from being lowered.  And lift cables that have snapped, nesting all of
the sections and making a real mess.

Steve, W3AHL