Re: [TowerTalk] Drill bits

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Drill bits
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 01:34:06 -0400

Guy Molinari wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>     I don't know why this is so hard.   I'm trying to drill out some hole on
> some 3/8" steel plates that I'm going to have galvanized.   I bought a 13/32"
> drill bit and it worked great for about 10 holes or so.   The problem is that
> I have about 140 more to go.   Any recommendations on a good quality drill
> bit?

Others have covered much of this already:
Use good drill bits...purchase at least a half dozen. With 140 holes I'd
plan on a dozen of each size from the pilot hole to finished hole.

Drill a pilot hole when the final hole will be relatively large.
Actually a pilot hole or moving up in steps is good most any time as the
finished hole can be made quite clean .
If galvanizing, don't forget to break the edges of the holes (both sides)
Look up the proper speed for the size bit being used and the material
it's being used in.
I no longer remember the speeds but I know what looks right and haven't
burned up a bit in years.
Sharpening skills?  Purchase a "Drill Doctor", They really work and do a
good job with little skill required from the operator and the learning
curve is rather shallow ...and short.
Keep the bit(s) sharp.
As to that speed, a 13/32" bit should run slow enough you aren't going
to want to drill many with a hand held drill, or you'll be smelling
burnt insulation. Running at the proper/slow speed will likely overheat
the motor and I can testify to having burned up the largest, variable
speed, 1/2" drill motor I had and I'd just taken it out of the box. If
you are a glutton for punishment and use the T-handle you *might* be
able to stall one of those. I can, have, and burned it up...literally. I
felt it lose torque, saw it blowing smoke, and before I could let go of
the trigger it was blowing flames.  Man that thing did stink! BTW I was
using a 7/8" bit.  Don't even think about trying one that size unless
you are in really good shape as you can get hurt.

73

Roger (K8RI)