Re: [TowerTalk] Drill bits

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Drill bits
From: Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 08:40:48 -0700
All these responses, and only one person talked about the quality
level of the bit. My experience is that HSS bits wear out quickly, not
matter what you do with oiling. I prefer titanium bits - they don't
cost much more, but last quite a bit longer than HSS. I have used
cobalt bits, but find them too flexible for the things I do. For me
flexible means less accurate drills.

Use a good titanium bit with the oil techniques that have been
described and you should get through the plate in short order.

Jack B, W6FB

On Mar 23, 2010, at 9:11 PM, Guy Molinari wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>    I don't know why this is so hard.   I'm trying to drill out some
> hole on some 3/8" steel plates that I'm going to have galvanized.
> I bought a 13/32" drill bit and it worked great for about 10 holes
> or so.   The problem is that I have about 140 more to go.   Any
> recommendations on a good quality drill bit?
>

> 73,
>
> Guy, N7ZG

- Jack Brindle, W6FB