Re: [TowerTalk] What happened to the Fractal Design in Ham Antennas

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What happened to the Fractal Design in Ham Antennas
From: Joe Reisert <Joe@Reisert.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:43:06 -0400
Hi Roger,

Just pouring over unread messages. Got behind.

Chip Cohen owns Fractal Systems (near Boston) and they are not in the
ham market. They do commercial designs (mostly custom) like cell phones etc.

Unfortunately, Chip and Communications Quarterly got hammered by
several opponents of his designs. W8JI I think was one. They had the
idea that Chip was crazy. Well, Chip wasn't. I know him well. Hence
he dropped out of doing stuff in Ham designs and Comm Quarterly
decided not to publish any more of Chip's articles. Bad decision for
both but that's the way it goes.

 From all the STUFF (LOTS) in the professional journals like IEEE
etc., we hams missed a good bet. Fractal designs and technology have
their niche and now are everywhere in the commercial market. In fact,
several companies are BIG time is same and now compete with Chip's company.

73,

Joe, W1JR