[TowerTalk] TOWAIR query - proximity to airport, FCC and FAA registratio

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TOWAIR query - proximity to airport, FCC and FAA registration
From: "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 15:26:57 -0700
I'm moving to a new site that is not too far from NAS Whidbey Island.  I
tried our coordinates and altitudes with the TOWAIR web page

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/towairSearch.jsp

and fed in my coordinates.  My property is high-bank waterfront property,
about 250' above sea level.  I put in feet, 250 AMSL, and various tower
heights.

At 6 meters of tower height, I don't need to register.  At 7 meters of tower
I'm suddenly 22 meters too high for the distance from Whidbey NAS.  Many of
the trees on my property are over 70'. I was planning a tower in the
neighborhood of 70 feet plus a 10 foot mast extension.   We do get aircraft
overhead from time to time.

For those of you "near" an airport, what's involved in the registration with
the FCC and FAA?  Is this a big deal?  I presume I should have this in hand
before I apply for the tower permit.  Can I register a tower that doesn't
yet exist?   Am I going to need lights on a 70' tower?

Thanks,

Dick, K6KR