Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA Type Data Outside of North America?

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA Type Data Outside of North America?
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 08:00:37 -0400
The USGS seamless data server used to provide access to these data, but
I just verified that it now offers only US data.  The EROS Data Center
is supposed to offer world-wide data, but at the moment their web site
is broken.  Meanwhile it appears that http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/ has
worldwide 90-meter data available for download.  Note, though, that this
means that the data points are approximately 300 feet apart (in the
horizontal plane), which is a considerable step down from the TM
30-meter data originally used.  That could affect the accuracy of the
HFTA modeling, depending on your terrain.  It *might* be better to get a
topo map and go through the laborious pencil and straight-edge
technique, unless you can get TM data.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com