Re: [TowerTalk] dxengineering U-bolts froze??

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] dxengineering U-bolts froze??
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 12:03:35 -0400
On 4/13/2010 Bob AD5VJ wrote:

> The threads are ruined on the nut and the U-bolt since it seemed to cross
> thread as it came loose for no apparent reason.

> I would have hated to have been trying this on top of the tower hanging from
> a strap trying to get it apart.

> Has anyone else had a problem like this, I remember it wasn't hard to
> tighten when I assembled it as it went on very easily, just taking it off
> was very difficult.

It's not cross threading - it's called "galling", and it comes from the same
alloy of stainless rubbing under pressure against the same alloy of stainless.
The 2 parts literally weld together.  One way to prevent it - coat the threads
with neverseze (sp) before you remove the U-Bolt - BTW there is actually a
copper based version that works really well too

--
73 de KG2V

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations,
pursuing invariably the same Object evinces
 a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism,
it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government,
 and to provide new Guards for their future security."

My Website: http://www.thegallos.com
My Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Therapy is expensive, poppin' bubble wrap is cheap! You choose.