Re: [TowerTalk] dxengineering U-bolts froze??

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] dxengineering U-bolts froze??
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 03:02:52 -0400

Robert wrote:
> With the potential  problems with galling with stainless u-bolts why not use
> galvanized?  Just curious!

ROHN did. Of course even though they have to tell people repeatedly not
to drill out the bolt holes to get the bolts to fit and not to screw the
bolts into the holes using the threads to open them up. You still see
people, not just hams, drilling out those bolt holes when they are
supposed to use a taper pin punch to open out the hole so the bolt just
fits.  Then they wonder why they find rust.

The different bolt materials like most every thing else are a group of
compromises. SS stands up well and comes in a wide variety of alloys.
There are hard, soft, and tough versions as well as magnetic and non
magnetic.  It just doesn't get along well with it self unless properly
treated.  I think you will find Galvanized does not come in grades due
to the heating of the galvanizing process. (I'm a bit hazy on this so
any one is welcome to chime in). The Galvanizing is a sacrificial metal
and works very well.   The strongest and hardest bolts are the ones that
corrode/rust the easiest and require external coating (paint) that
weathers well.

It's kinda the case of "You pays you money and takes your choice".

73

Roger (K8RI)