Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking Beams

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking Beams
From: "Chet" <chetmoore@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 08:56:50 -0400
Don that is a fantastic 40 m beam.   I love mine.  I have had mine up 5
years with no problems what so ever but......some one posted some simple
mods that I would have made if I knew about them at the time I had it on the
ground.  You can probably google  xm-240 mods and find them or ask here on
the reflector.  I have a C31 at 90 feet and my xm-240 mounted under it at 75
on a gate that turns around the tower.   I am a contester and after running
HFTA I found that for me into Europe the best height for the 40m beam is
between 70 and 80 feet so I put it at 75 feet.  A number of people have
converted the xm-240 to a moxon style antenna.  This is a major mod. Someone
mentioned their their capacity hats had come loose.  No problem with that
here. I a about 7 miles of the atlantic and this antenna has now been
through 5 or so hurricanes Unlike the TH-7 has traps which the c31 does not
have.  F12 said I could stack  the xm-240 as close as 7 feet.

I turn the C-31 with a ham iv  and I also turn the gate with the xm-40 with
another one. This has worked out well for me.  You will absolutely love the
xm-240 when you get it in the air. Everyone I have spoken with has said
forget using the cushcraft balun and to go with a more heavy duty balun.
Unlike your TH-7, you can not reach the balun on the xm-240 from the tower.
Spend a little extra and get the 2K baluns. I don't  know if you get on 160
but the xm-240 seems to rx on 160 pretty well.

73

Chet  N4FX