Re: [TowerTalk] OR2800 rotor cable

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OR2800 rotor cable
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 07:37:32 -0700
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 04:28:58 +0000, k2wd@comcast.net wrote:

>Anyone know where I can find suitable rotor cable for the OR2800 rotor (2x
>12ga, 2x 18ga shielded pair).

3x#12 is very common house wiring (phase, neutral, and a ground). Shielded
twisted pair is quite common in the pro audio world. BUT -- take a careful
look at what the circuit is doing. Is the shield ONLY a shield, or is it
also an active conductor?  Very common usually means very inexpensive.

We have learned in the pro audio world that a foil/drain shield on twisted
pair has terrible RFI properties. On the other hand, an unshielded twisted
pair has very good rejection of noise and RFI.

I suggest that you study the rotor control to see exactly what those cables
are connecting. In my Yaesu rotor, one pair runs a DC motor, and three
conductors monitor the position of a rotary pot that indicates rotor
position. I have a long run between rotor and shack, so I used two 250 ft
runs of 3-conductor house wire from the shack to the tower, and a 130 ft
run of nicer cable that I found at a surplus house to run up the tower. It
works quite well.

73,

Jim K9YC