Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA and diferent bands antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA and diferent bands antennas
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 09:08:41 -0700
I suggest that you do two things:

1.  Read the extensive discussion of terrain interaction in general and
HFTA in particular in the ARRL Antenna Book.

2.  Generate some sample terrain plots see for yourself the impact of a
small peak in the foreground of a large peak and vice versa.  The
terrain files are a very simple text format of paired numbers, with
distance in the first column and height in the second column.  You can
edit any existing file with Notepad to create a different terrain profile.

By the way, the wave that is altered by the low foreground peak does not
have to be aligned with the wave passing over the taller distant peak in
order to combine with it.  If that were true, waves reflected off the
ground in front of your antenna wouldn't ever combine with waves beaming
directly outward toward the horizon.  Think about it.

73,
Dave   AB7E