Re: [TowerTalk] Best mast location?

To: "'Tommy Alderman'" <aldermant@windstream.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Best mast location?
From: "Fredric T. Serota" <fserota@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 17:30:07 -0400
Thanks for responding. Actually, I have read and re-read "Up The Tower"
several times. It actually doesn't give specifics about where on the mast to
go. I don't understand why they sell 15' reinforced masts if they want you
to put the beam right on top of the mast. Only a collection of very light
weight 2 meter and above antennas would qualify. Also not sure why they pick
a tower height of 55' which is an odd height if comparing wavelengths of
amateur bands, being more than a half wavelength at 20 and less than a half
wavelength at 40.

So I, too, am reading all I can and asking all I can. On this issue,
actually, the ARRL Antenna Handbook makes the most sense going through the
"moment" calculations. But they come to the conclusion that there is little
difference between the top of the tower and 5' above.

Fred