Re: [TowerTalk] thrust bearing lubrication

To: towertalk@contesting.com, wb2aio@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] thrust bearing lubrication
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 08:33:36 EDT

In a message dated 5/17/2010 6:18:19 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Hi TTers,
I got that Rohn 45 tilt-over down and home  last week. In remarkably good
condition. Only thing I wondering about is the  TB3 thrust bearing and how to
lubricate it. It turns freely but has a notable  rumbling sound and feel to
it. I notice at the bottom of the inside shaft area  where to mast passes
through, is a recessed Allan head fitting/plug. Would  this be the place to
remove and squirt in some white grease? And then replace  the plug?

    Removal of the Allen screw allows you to  remove the ball bearings and
then take the bearing apart.

    This bearing should NOT be lubricated with  anything. All that does is
give airborne grit and crud a place to attach to,  thus accelerating the
failure of the bearing. The bearings are not sealed so  it's easy for junk to
get into the bearings and races.

    The TB-3 (and TB-4) are both aluminum races with  steel ball bearings.
It is very common for older TB's to have the rumbling you  describe since in
wind gusts, the steel bearings can get pounded into the  softer aluminum
races. This means the bearing is on its last legs. I wouldn't  reinstall it.
Well, if you were just going to use it as a bushing without  tightening the 3
bolts, it'd last for years. The actual value of a thrust  bearing is the
subject of some conjecture since most or all of the weight of a  mast and
antenna array should be on the rotator.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH