[TowerTalk] Motorized Crank Up Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Motorized Crank Up Towers
From: "Don Tucker" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 09:51:46 -0700
A little late comment Steve, but you make a very good point.  My HG-70HD came
with the motor control option but I never bothered to install it. And, glad I
did not. Last spring, after all the winter winds, I decided to hand crank it
back up to full height (it was at 2/3).  Did NOT notice that  a section of the
top drooping cable had evidently been blown hard enough to hang up over the top
coax arm.  Noticed the cranking was suddenly a little hard, looked up and my
coax arm was bent down at almost 45 degrees. Necessitated cranking it back down
all the way, climbing up and replacing the coax arm. Hate to think what might
have happened if I'd had the motor attached and raised it from inside the
shack. Lesson learned -  always do a close inspection of the tower if its been
cranked down awhile.

Don W7WLL