Re: [TowerTalk] Motorized Crank Up Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Motorized Crank Up Towers
From: "Jim McDonald" <jim@n7us.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 13:44:24 -0500
Though my tower has remote control (or did until my lightning strike), I
would only lower it from inside, and I did that when I knew no cables could
get caught in the tower.  It's especially prudent to control it at the tower
base for a tower with positive pull-down, which my previous Hy-Gain HG70HD
didn't have.

Even being outside watching it on the way up, I've caught a ladder line
feedline on an eave, and slopers and inverted vees can get caught too.

I was always uncomfortable with my previous tower, the Hy-Gain, because I
couldn't get it down with the manual winch if the wind was blowing too hard,
which caused it to bind.

I wouldn't buy the remote control option again.

Jim N7US