Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna switch isolation?

To: hs0zed@csloxinfo.com, msole@loxinfo.co.th
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna switch isolation?
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 14:28:43 EDT
Martin, the length of the coax center conductors showing outside the braid
can act as small antennas and radiate signal from one center conductor
through  the air to the other center conductor.

Shorter center conductors will make poorer antennas and reduce the
radiation. Smaller relays will also have less radiation than larger ones.
Shields
in a proper location can help. Making sure the center conductors are
shorted to ground (shield) when open will help.

Some relays have a lead from the connection point to the actual relay
contact. These leads can radiate and couple signal. One trick some times used
is
 to use a DPDT relay with the connection leads removed and then short the
two  poles together. Input and output coax center conductors can then be
connected to  the normally open contacts. This puts two contacts in series for
increased  isolation using a single relay.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 6/5/2010 11:49:30 A.M. Central Daylight Time,