Re: [TowerTalk] Shack ground

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shack ground
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 16:29:39 -0400

On 6/19/2010 10:11 AM, jimlux wrote:
> Roger (K8RI) wrote:

>>> This *is* the problem.. one has network cabling, phone lines, etc. all
>>> distributed sort of haphazardly throughout the house, so it's hard to
>>> establish a reference point to tie everything to.
>>>
>>> (A good argument for wireless LAN, BTW..
>>>
>> I would dearly love to go wireless, but it's just too slow for backups
>> across the network. There are improving the speed, but still have a ways
>> to go.
>>
> You need more than 50-100 Mbps? Well..if you're using gigE, then
> wireless would be tricky.

Weekly backups can run several Terabytes. Daily's are usually much
smaller.  I do a lot of photography and AV work.
The slow part is the archiving to the external HDs even if they are
eSATA, but they sure beat USB<:-))

>>> no long cables to radiate the
>>> power supply noise of the router/switch, etc.   Ethernet is galvanically
>>> isolated, typically with at least 2000V or 5000V isolation)
>>>
>>> These days, very few people use phone modems, so you don't need to
>>> interconnect the phone line and the ham station at all. That would mean
>>> avoiding using that extra "phone line transient suppressor jack"
>>>

>> Unfortunately there is the networked fax machine/printer.  It ties
>> directly to the phone line AND the network.
>>

> But THAT particular device can go at WLAN speeds, so you can
> inexpensively put an airgap between network and phone line.  Probably
> cheaper than a decent transient suppressor.

I've thought about taking that track, but I still have the cable modem
hardwired in. Whether it's less prone to lightning damage than the phone
line?

73

Roger (K8RI)