Re: [TowerTalk] Why horizontally polarized antennas?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Why horizontally polarized antennas?
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 12:10:53 -0700

That's one good reason for it.  Another is that in the case of only one
yagi, mounting it vertically puts all the elements in line with the
tower/mast, potentially causing unwanted electrical interactions.

Another is that vertical elements (long at HF frequencies) would tend to
interfere mechanically, assuming you wanted to rotate the antenna, with
guy wires or any wire antennas (80m dipole, etc) hung from the top of
the tower unless you used a really long mast.

Another is that horizontally configured yagis for other bands (or phased
for the same band) can easily be stacked one above the other on the same
mast.  Imagine mounting three vertically configured monoband yagis one
above the other.

73,
Dave   AB7E