Re: [TowerTalk] Why horizontally polarized antennas?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Why horizontally polarized antennas?
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 16:12:09 -0500
* On 2010 02 Jul 11:54 -0500, Kelly Johnson wrote:
> A co-worker asked me today why hams use horizontally polarized yagi's
> instead of vertically polarized.  Am I correct that it has to do with
> ground reflection gain?

Presumably, the question stems from other mobile radio services where
vertical antennas are the norm.  The Part 95 27 MHz service also settled
onto vertical antennas as that is easiest to achieve on the mobiles and
the base stations followed suit so as not to deal with the effects of
cross-polarization on local--sky wave--communications.

Radio amateurs chose hortizontal as most of our HF communications are
intended via ionospheric "skip" and the polarization at the receiving
end can be nearly anything as it changes along the path for the reasons
others have outlined.

73, de Nate >>