[TowerTalk] LMR-900-UF does it exist?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] LMR-900-UF does it exist?
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 16:57:41 -0700
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 18:09:15 -0400
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
LMR-900-UF  does it exist?

On 7/2/2010 1:59 PM, Jim Thomson wrote:

> Does this LMR-900UF  actually exist??   If it does, it would be the real
> ticket.. and I have several applications
> where it could easily be deployed.  The rigid LMR-900   and also LMR-1200DB
> is NO fun to work with at all.

Nor are the UF versions when making a lot of connections.  The jacket is
a rubber like material that does not adhere to the braid. This makes the
use of regular strippers problematic at best and useless at worst. Well,
actually I've had the jacket tear which meant cutting off the end and
starting over.

##  well,  I have  T-Comm 600-UF.. which is just the silver plated version of
600-UF... and yes,   the
TCOM-600-UF  also has the rubber jacket.    It's way more flexible than
213...almost like spageti.
Who cares whether the rubber jacket sticks to the braid ??   I only have
experience with just one piece of this
stuff.

I am a fan of the LMR series cables, but I am not a fan of the UF
versions. The jacket is not only difficult to work with, but has a
relatively short life compared to the regular LMR cables or Davis
BuryFlex(TM).  I had to replace all of the pigtails to the antennas in
the big array after less than 8 years.

##OK. this has me concerned!    What happens after 8 years ??  Does the UV kill
the stuff ??   How do u know it's
trashed ?   Does the attenuation go way up/arc, watter ingress/etc ?
If that's the case, then the uF version is better suited for indoors.   Dunno
why then, they didn't just use the
regular jacket.. like on 600-DB, etc.    I think the reason the 600-UF is WAY
more flexible than  213 is...
in large part, cuz of the rubber jacket on the UF cables.

## The plan was to run LMR-1200DB  from basement to base of tower, then into
the Hoffi lightning
protector, [bulk head type], then into the Tcom-600UF... which goes up the side
of the crank up tower, and
terminates into the remote switch box on the mast.   Then 393 teflon coax for
the pigtails to each yagi.

## I need something flexible for the single run of coax up the side of the
tower, something with low loss, and handles
YC-156 power.  My only other option is 393 up the side of the tower...and the
loss on that stuff is no better than 213-U.

## Plan B is... I could try the TCOM-600UF since I already have it.. and if
it's a problem down the road, then replace it with 393.
In any event, I will use 393  from remote switch box on mast, to each of the 4
x ants.   The last thing I need is a problem with
pigtails, esp when some of the DE's  are way out on the booms.  I will also use
the dow-corning  DC-4/5 silicon grease  on the
7-16 DIN's.    Then vapor wrap/88 tape/heatshrink etc.

##  When I first saw that UF  rubber jacket,  I wondered  if it was any good
for UV.  If the  Tcom-UF bombs out on me for any reason,
it's real easy to replace, with tower nested..since the remote swictch box on
mast will  25-26' above the grnd.

later.... Jim  VE7RF

> If it doesn't exist, then they should consider making such a product.    Does
> anybody know ?

73

Roger (K8RI)