Re: [TowerTalk] Why horizontally polarized antennas?

To: Kelly Johnson <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Why horizontally polarized antennas?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 17:08:37 -0700
Kelly Johnson wrote:
> I've always thought this as well, but others have claimed this is not
> true.  Can anyone explain why this is the case?
>
> Yes, my anecdotal evidence supports this.  I've done side-by-side
> comparisons of a 40m vertical dipole against a horizontal dipole and
> always found QRN to be higher on the vertical.  I just don't
> understand why this is the case.
>
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Roger (K8RI) <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net> wrote:

Is the physical distance from the interference source different for the
two antennas? (assuming you're not talking thunderstorm noise, which is
randomly polarized)

For close distances, small absolute changes lead to big dB changes.. If
the source is 100 ft from one antenna and 200 from the other, that's a 6
dB change.

And, close to the antenna(s), small changes in relative position might
be many degrees in the pattern cut.