Re: [TowerTalk] best way to shine up an old yagi?

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] best way to shine up an old yagi?
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 17:20:49 -0400
Are you sure that you didn't use some other product?  I'm not aware of any
iron in Scotch Brite pads and I have recycled a lot of aluminum using the
product with no issues.  3M claims it will never rust:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Windows/Doors/Product-Information/Products/Abrasives/Hand-Pad/

John KK9A

From: "D Calder"
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:25:07 -0400

Scotchbrite came back and bit me some years ago. The "metal in it" got in
the
pits of elements and actually made the antenna
look like it rusted a month later. Even though it wasn't the aluminum, it
was
the metal in the pad. They make brass pads too.

I had to take it down, use 400 grit to get it out and then clear coated it
and
it's been up for some time now. It stops it from deteriorating
when you live 900 ft. from the ocean when it's covered with something. I
have
some that have been up 7 to 8 years and that's a good
bit next to the sea salt.

73 Dave n4zkf
n4zkf@n4zkf.com
www.n4zkf.com