Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-600 UHF-males

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-600 UHF-males
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 10:34:52 -0400

Jim Thomson wrote:

> ##  Just what is the deal with the pricing on LMR-600  male  UHF
> connector's ???    Does anybody besides Times-microwave even make  a
> uhf male  for  LMR-600/600UF  ??     I just looked, and the price for
> 600 male uhf connectors   is just insane.    You can buy  7-16 dins
> for  1/3 the price.   What gives ?
>
> ## Some where, buried in my basement, I have at least 2 x doz+  new
> LMR-600  uhf males..and I'll be dipped if I can find them.   I'm
> still looking.  They used to be very reasonable at one time.
>
> ##  I also noticed that the price of  Times Microwave   7-16 male
> dins  for   LMR-1200DB  has skyrocketed in the last few years.   [and
> those are made in  Brazil]

This is at least partly supply and demand. There's not much call for UHF
connectors or male connectors in general for larger cable. The
commercial users driving the market tend to use male connectors on small
(1/2" or smaller) cable because it's used as jumpers, and female
connectors on the larger "main line" cables which will typically get
interfaced via a male-to-male jumper on each end. This convention has
evolved for various reasons, and I love it as it means I can simplify my
connector inventory.

-Steve K8LX