Re: [TowerTalk] LMR 600 Water-proof Feed Thrus (+ H20 proof'g) DAVIS RF

To: Stephen Davis <sdavis@davisrf.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR 600 Water-proof Feed Thrus (+ H20 proof'g) DAVIS RF Response
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 08:00:24 -0700
Stephen Davis wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Some observations: There was a reference to "Silicone Caulk" for
> sealing the connector threads.  I think he meant Silicone grease.
> Silicone grease is better for a number of reasons, and  although some
> folks use Silicone caulk on the outside of connectors, and to seal
> wire connections from coax to wire antenna feed points, I recommend
> against it as there can be adverse chemical reactions with copper
> wire and also silicone caulk will seem to adhere to PVC and PE (many
> LMR's) outer jacket but in very short time the seal will break down,
> letting water in.

I was thinking silicone caulk to seal the the housing of the transient
suppressor to the box, not for the threads.. The idea being that you
drill a hole in the box and push the threaded part of the connector thru
the hole, with the housing of the suppressor snug up against the inside
wall of the box.

Cheaper and smaller than a bulkhead feedthrough and another cable inside
the box from feedthrough to suppressor.

Of course, one could probably just use a piece of wire (not coax) to
connect the center pin of the feedthrough to the center pin of the
connector on the suppressor.  The shield of the feedthrough is solidly
connected to the box, as is the housing of the suppressor, and the few
inches of wire probably wouldn't make much difference impedance wise, at
least for HF.

You'd use whatever usual scheme you want for sealing the actual connector.